When planning for your trekking excursion to see gorillas in Volcanoes national park, we advise you to come with a few things that are useful for you to attain your lifetime ultimate experience that involves trekking/hiking visit mountain gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda.
Important Items to pack for a Gorilla Trek Safari in Rwanda or Uganda
1. Binoculars. Don’t forget that you are on safari and you want to have clear views of everything so during your trek in search for the rare mountain gorillas, you will have a chance to spot some other wildlife species like birds, primates and large mammals.
2. Video/photo camera, extra lenses and Reserve batteries. Photography is an important component of your safari and make sure that you have your camera ready, charge your batteries very well and if necessary, carry extra batteries as you will need to take many photographs in the one hour you will have with the gorillas.
3. Hiking boots. You need light weight for this activity/strong waterproof walking boots due to nature and altitude of the forest. So get shoes that have good ankle support (the ones that come above the ankle bone).
4. Waterproof jacket/trousers. Take a light jumper and lightweight breathable as temperature is variable and weather conditions can change
5. Socks. Wear Lightweight long wool socks which are comfortable for a mountain tropical forest
6. Long-sleeved shirts/trousers. Please ensure that you trek in your long sleeved trousers/shirts to avoid insects such as safari ants entering your trousers.
7. Sweater for cool evenings and chilly mornings due to nature and altitude of the place.
8. Bush hat & sunglasses with a neck strap for protection from the strong sun rays if it is hot.
9. Insect repellants to protect you from Mosquito bites as Bwindi is a tropical forest so many insects are accommodated there in.
10. Garden gloves that will protect you from germs and other items that may scratch your hands.
11. Energy Giving snacks. Gorilla trekking can take from 30 minutes to eight or so hours and that’s why a certain level of fitness is required. To add on that, we advise that you carry some energy giving snacks as supplements and lots of drinking water as you never know when you will return.